St. John's Church is an early Gothic hall church with three naves.
The high light-flooded interior is particularly worth seeing.
In 1011, the monastery of St. John was founded by Bishop Detmar. The consecration of the church took place in 1292. In the mid-1960s, the church was extensively renovated.
- The foundation of the collegiate monastery St. Johann took place in 1011 by Bishop Thietmar of Osnabrück (1003-23) as the second spiritual centre of the city, with a school, as a priestly educational institution.
- It was considered the first such institution of an Osnabrück bishop, who had his own parish rights since 1147.
- Collegiate provost came in each case from the ranks of the cathedral chapter.
- The Osnabrück New Town developed around it, which was administered separately from the Old Town until 1306.
- Chapter of St. Johann developed into a bourgeois community after the cathedral chapter stipulated noble origins for membership in 1398.
- The church has also been a parish church since 1447.
- In 1543, the chapter rejects the adoption of the Lutheran church order.
- After 1803 and subsequent dissolution of the chapter, it is considered the parish church of St. Johann.
- Worship chapel donated by the von Bar family on the A. 14th century as a funeral chapel, later among other things a mortuary chapel and war memorial.